Civilians flee new clashes between Iraqi army, YBS in Shingal
Residents of Shingal district fled renewed clashes between Iraqi forces and the Shingal Resistance Units (YBS) that broke out on Sunday, May 1, night, local sources report.

At least 50 families have been displaced due to clashes between the two forces, the head of the Kurdistan Migration and Displacement Media Office in Duhok, Karwan Zaki, told Anadolu Agency (AA) on Monday, May 2.

Ezidi Press announced hundreds of people were fleeing and civilians in the village of Dugure were calling to be evacuated while all the main roads there are blocked.

A local source informed NRT that fighting broke out between the 72nd Brigade of the Iraqi army and the YBS. The clashes were ongoing in Sinune sub-district in the north of Shingal and the Iraqi army has brought heavy equipment, the report said.

A member of Iraqi forces was killed in fighting between Iraqi forces and the YBS in Shingal on Monday, AA said. Anadolu stated clashes broke out when the YBS refused to withdraw from checkpoints in Shingal.

Ezidi Press said the Iraqi military carried out air strikes on YBS bases in Shingal. Residents reported the sound of a large explosion in Shingal city’s old market but the cause of the blast was not confirmed.

Nadia Murad, a Ezidi UN Goodwill Ambassador and Nobel Laureate from Shingal, called on the international community to protect civilians in the district.

"After years of displacement, recent returnees are once again forced to flee their homes due to current armed clashes in Shingal,” Murad said.

The UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), also expressed concern over the renewed clashes, stating "security should be front and center.”

"Domestic and external spoilers have no place in Shingal,” UNAMI stated.

The Iraqi army deployed additional troops to Shingal last week. Members of both Iraqi forces and the YBS were wounded in clashes between the two forces that broke out on April 18.

Reporter's code: 50101