Salih Muslim, the co-chairman of the Democratic Union Party (PYD), described the agreement between the governments of Ankara and Damascus as impossible and said that accepting this agreement means a war with itself by the Syrian government.
According to Firat News Agency, Muslim said in an interview with Rojava TV that the history of Turkey's war-making against the Kurds goes back to the time of its establishment: "Since this country joined the North Atlantic Treaty (NATO) it has continued this war with NATO weapons and has not seen an obstacle in front of itself, even that no borders were drawn for Turkey at the recent summit of NATO leaders in Madrid."
Referring to the failure of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to achieve his goals at the recent Tehran summit, Muslim described Turkey's goal as "a ground attack on Manbij and Tel Rifat and expelling the Kurds from these areas."
Referring to Erdogan's visit to Sochi, Muslim said: "Erdogan surrendered to Putin in that meeting and from now on he cannot play role between Russia and NATO. If Turkey gets closer to Russia, it will take the stop order from America."
PYD co-chairman added: "NATO needs Turkey, but the AKP led by Erdogan is no longer welcomed in NATO and it is looking for a replacement for it. Erdogan is now afraid of his life and has increased his bodyguards so that he does not suffer the fate of Turgut Ozal and Bulent Ecevit. He bought the S-400 system to protect the presidential palace, not to defend Turkey."
Muslim also reacted to the attempt to revive the Adana agreement, which allows the Turkish army to enter Syrian territory upto several kilometers to suppress its opponents, and asked the government of Damascus to "not accept such a plan and respect the people who are in the ranks of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) who fought against the ISIS and now they are standing against Turkey's aggression."
Salih Muslim considered it for an agreement between the government of Damascus and Ankara and said: "Turkey has killed half a million Syrians so far. There are still thousands of forces under Turkish command in the occupied territories who are killing Syrians. The only agreement that can be made between the two governments is to abandon everything and go to war with the Kurds. Turkey wants this. If Syria accepts this, it means that it is wounding itself. It should not be forgotten that what made Turkey give concessions to the government of Damascus is our struggle in the north and the east of Syria."
An escalation of military action in Syria would be “unacceptable,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday, in comments addressing Turkey’s plans for a new offensive into the war-torn country.
Damascus and Moscow are seeking to negotiate with Ankara to “prevent any new military action,” Reuters cited Russia’s top diplomat as saying at a press conference in Moscow alongside his Syrian counterpart Faisal Mekdad.
Erdogan in May announced plans for a new offensive in northeast Syria targeting the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG). Since the beginning of the Syrian conflict, Turkey has conducted four major military operations in northern Syria.
Ankara views the YPG as a “terrorist” organization and as an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), an armed group that has been at war for Kurdish self-rule in Turkey for 40 years.
Lavrov’s remarks were aimed at persuading Erdogan to row back talk of a new campaign in northern Syria, Reuters said.
Erdogan earlier this month met his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in Sochi. The pair pledged new ties - including the expansion of cooperation in the economic and energy sectors - with Turkey vowing to make some modest economic concessions.
The meeting has sparked concerns over burgeoning ties between Ankara and Moscow and Russia’s potential use of Turkey to circumvent Western sanctions over its invasion of Ukraine.
Reporter's code: 50101